Ep 46: Should I Take Insurance as a Therapist?
As therapists, we all want to feel that we are helping others and feel secure in our own lives. Especially during a pandemic.
As highly trained, trauma-informed therapists, our mission is to guide our clients in developing secure attachment and healthy relationships. Alongside them, we also seek to develop a security in our private practice that provides us with healthy choices in our careers.
And how we learn about what gives us security depends on who teaches us what real security means.
For many of us, we’ve learned that being on insurance panels gives us security; insurance companies send us lots of clients and requires very little marketing on our part to reach “full.”
But does full feel good? Do low reimbursement rates from insurance companies allow us to feel the type of security we really crave? Why do we find ourselves in arguments with each other and ourselves about taking insurance? Why do many of us find ourselves in unhealthy relationships with insurance companies?
In today’s podcast, we invite five alumni of The Consultation Program to discuss how they developed their relationship with insurance, what they learned in that relationship, and how that lead them to the successful place they are in now. Not only will we invite you to get curious about your relationship with insurance and the stories you’ve told yourself about that relationship, we also invite you to check in with yourself about how your values align or do not align with an insurance-based practice.
If you are a therapist who takes insurance, or is considering going on or off of insurance, you are not going to want to miss this episode! Our hope is that this conversation will leave you feeling full of permission to do what works best for you.
Want to keep learning with us?
Are you ready to grow your security in a way that separates you from the traditional thinking of the past? Apply for The Consultation Program today to build your clinical confidence in a comprehensive eight month journey.
There’s nothing like it.
Learn more about today’s spotlight guests:
- Christie Pearl is a Certified EMDR Therapist and Consultant In Training in private practice in Massachusetts and Virginia. She creates customized EMDR Intensives for ACOAs who are struggling with work/life demands to create a healthier relationship with work so that they can realign with their work in a way that feels true to who they want to be today, instead of who they had to be as children. If you would like to connect with Christie, please visit www.christiepearl.com.
- Andreana Mabry is a Certified EMDR Therapist and Consultant in Training and writer of The Community Mental Health Survival Guide. Clinical Website: https://showupcounseling.com/ EMDR Consultation: https://www.practicalemdrconsultation.showuptraining.com/ Community Mental Health Survival Guide: https://cmhsurvival.showuptraining.com/home
- Anne Robershaw specializes in supporting highly sensitive, go-getter, Gen X women who have been blindsided by traumatic grief and loss heal with EMDR therapy. What she delights in most is helping these same women, on the other side of their healing journey from loss, build lives they love, full of magic and authenticity. https://www.annerobershaw.com/about-annie-robershaw-lmft
- Jennifer Jenkins-Boitnott is a Licensed Professional Counselor, EMDRIA Certified EMDR Therapist & EMDR Consultant. At Simply Rewire, Jennifer specializes in providing consultation on EMDR, intensives and private practice building. Find the most current trainings and consultation offerings at https://www.simplyrewireemdr.com In addition to consultation Jennifer provides intensive EMDR therapy at her private practice Sea Glass, in Richmond, VA. For current intensive EMDR therapy offerings check https://www.seaglassrva.com
- Linda Standley is an EMDRIA Approved Consultant and Certified EMDR Clinician with over 30 years of experience in the field of trauma with an expertise in resolution and healing of Relational and Complex Trauma and PTSD. She offers client-centered, evidence-based EMDR Intensive Sessions and Retreats for busy professionals who are interested in accelerated healing from the intrusions and limitations of past trauma. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/linda-standley-emdr-intensives-medway-ma/101218
Zero Disturbance offers comprehensive resources for therapists on EMDR-informed clinical reasoning, intensive design, passive income systems, & teaching excellence.
- Ready to get started in the Zero Disturbance community? Access our favorite free resources in The Zero Disturbance Welcome Bundle, full of free videos and downloads to help you develop your clinical reasoning skills, as well as ways to feel like an intentional designer of high-value offerings like intensives and passive income. Use these free resources to make the seemingly impossible feel absolutely accessible!
- Ready to set up intensive therapy options in your practice? It's time to get you out of back-to-back, 50 minute sessions and experience real financial freedom. We supported hundreds of therapists make this successful transition, and are excited to help you, too! Design an intensive model that works best for you with The Intensive Design Kit!
- Ready to go all in and work with Kambria? You should be surrounded by life-long learners who are encouraging, learner-centered, and transparent about the success of their business as you build yours. All therapists are welcome, and EMDRIA hours available for those with EMDR focused practices. Whether you're seeking Certification, AC, or already a Consultant, we encourage you to get clinical and business strategies in The Consultation Program because there's nothing like it.
With a Masters in Education from Vanderbilt, Kambria has been creating trainings and teaching adult learners for 20 years. As Director of Education and Quality Improvement at Stanford Medical School, her job was to decomplicate and consolidate complex systems and topics, thereby giving medical trainees successful learning experiences. Now, as a busy mom of fraternal twins, dedicated business owner of Zero Disturbance, and EMDRIA Approved Consultant, Kambria knows what it means to do things efficiently, effectively, and in a learner-centered way.